Calligram Project

 


I'm quite pleased with how this image turned out. I created another one but was having a hard time figuring out the words within the shapes i was going to use. I took the character Bendy from the videogame Bendy and the Ink machine. I love Disney style art and this game (which is a horror game) really stuck with me. When I was younger my mother used to take me to Walt Disney World every weekend as she worked as a vacation planner. Since then I loved the art style of the characters and inspired me into the world of character design. This project as a whole took me about 6 1/2 hours as filling in certain spaces was a bit difficult on my part but thoroughly enjoyed this new experience.

I had some knowledge on Adobe Illustrator so learning the tools used wasn't hard. I used the pen tool, curvature pen tool, eclipse tool to create the eyes and dimple holes for the gloves. Type on path tool for the outlines along with the area type tool for the filler. I had to use the Curvature tool to create the shapes within to add text or the text would have leaked into other areas of the image. To change placement or sizes of letters I used the Touch type tool which allows one to make certain letters pop and stand out.

My Future self Letter for the text.

Hello, my future self, it’s your college self-writing you with some pointers or rant about how to hopefully better yourself in your current situation. I know that things are probably hard, and you are probably in a rough spot currently or have run into hardships to get where you currently are. Things will get better in due time. I know that easy to say, as so many people have to us before, but it will. We are black women trying to get into animation which is a competitive field as is. You. No, WE can do this, we must work harder to get noticed and to get what we want. Things are harder than it has been as inflation is rising and tensions between our political parties and the people of our nation. I know you claim that you do not like people as the current “you” that’s writing this is under so much stress and anxiety between jobs and school. Remember that we want a house to call just ours, our luxury car the Audi A8 during this time is the most sought-after car we dream of once owning and of course, our dream job of being an animator of a big company like Disney or a video game company like Square Enix. We are smart and shouldn’t let other tell us, tell you otherwise. I didn’t think I could get into this college as the acceptance rate was basically a 50-50 chance but look, here I am writing this letter for a project in digital media class. So many times, have I thought that I could not live up to certain expectations or goals that me or other set for me, but I did it, we did it. Make sure to sit down and take breaks, we are not superhuman but just a person who wants to be recognized for her talents in the arts and respected for it. We must be happy; I know it’s easier said than done as things are quite expensive during the time, I’m writing this, but you should have a good savings and regular funds to do whatever you wish within your power. We want to be creators of things that we want to build someday, right? Life is not meant to be rushed, you should live your life with vigor and wonder but never rush it or you’ll miss out on the important things that you should pay more attention to. Do things that make you happy everyday and make more friends, true friends that will help guide you to your goal.



Comments

Popular Posts